Have you registered for Making Tax Digital?
If you are a London Virtual Office customer and submit your VAT returns via accounting software such as Xero, you need to make sure you register with HMRC for Making Tax Digital.
According to the HRMC, you need to register for Making Tax Digital (MTD) at least seven days before your next VAT return is due.
The good news is it's straightforward if you follow these steps:
Firstly, make sure you have your company VAT number, Government Gateway user ID and password to hand.
- Log in to the government gateway account.
- You will see the heading 'Sign Up to Making Tax Digital for VAT'.
- Click on the link to find out more about MTD for VAT (please note this opens in a new tab)
- Click on 'Sign up to Making Tax Digital for VAT' then scroll down the webpage until you see the sign up link. Select sign up your business from the link on the next page.
You will then need to answer the following questions:
- Do you have accounting software for managing your VAT records? Yes
- Is your software ready to submit Making Tax Digital for VAT Returns directly to HMRC? Yes or No (Yes if you're on Xero, if you are using something else you will need to check if it's compatible with your accounting software provider).
- Do you have more than one VAT registered business? Yes or No, depending on if you have more than one VAT registered business.
- What type of business are you registered as? Please choose the relevant option
- What is your company number? Enter your Company Number as per what is listed on Companies House.
After you sign up
The HMRC will send you a confirmation email within 72 hours of signing up for Making Tax Digital. The HMRC state you must NOT submit a VAT Return until you receive the confirmation email.